• General
  • Sep 8, 2009
  • No Responses
  • Print This Post

In real estate, it’s not about the firm. It’s about service you need.

Ever wonder why people change firms? Was that firm better that they left or where they went? A lot of times it’s about their license type and management direction. California Department of Real Estate (DRE) has two types of licenses. They are the same license and test for both Residential and Commercial “brokers”. There are different requirements for the Salesperson license and Broker license. Most agents are Salespersons, meaning they must work for a Broker with a signed employment agreement. Brokers can work for themselves or have Salespersons working for them. The vast majority in real estate are Salespersons, that have to work for a firm, company, or Broker. It doesn’t determine how good of a real estate professional they are, you make this determination! Not every Salesperson or Broker is a “Realtor™”. Only those that belong to the National Association of Realtors and the California Association of Realtors can call themselves “Realtor™”. These organizations have requirements to fulfill before the title “Realtor™” is allowed to be used. You should check your “broker”, “Agent”, or whatever title they have chosen, on the DRE website prior to engaging them. This is what you should do before you hire a licensed contractor too.

Check the license at: www.dre.ca.gov. Click on the Check Real Estate License Status box, on the top right of the page. Not all functions or positions in real estate require a license. Check with the DRE if you have questions.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *